+/- Text Size: A A A | Need a screen reader? Download Jaws

Complete support for victims and their loved ones...

Welfare Benefits

If you believe that you are suffering from one of the four diseases referred to below because you have worked with asbestos or were exposed to asbestos after 4 July 1948, it is possible to make a claim for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit. The amount awarded to you in respect of Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit depends on the seriousness of your condition. It is possible to claim payment after 13 weeks from the first day you were deemed to be suffering from the disease, irrespective of whether you have been required to take time off work. If an award is made, this continues to be paid after you have retired.

The diseases:

- Pneumoconiosis (asbestosis). This is Prescribed Disease D1
- Diffuse mesothelioma. This is Prescribed Disease D3
- Primary carcinoma of the lung where there is accompanying evidence of one or both of the following:
A. Asbestosis. This is Prescribed Disease D8
B. You have had prolonged and heavy exposure to asbestos dust in one of a few specified occupations. This is Prescribed Disease D8A
-Diffuse pleural thickening. This is Prescribed Disease D9

If the disease from which you are suffering has been caused by exposure to asbestos in the course of your employment prior to 5 July 1948 no Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit is payable. However, for the first three diseases referred to above it may be possible to receive an allowance under the Pneumoconiosis, Byssinosis and Miscellaneous Diseases Benefit Scheme.

For more information about this, contact:

Department for Work and Pensions,
Phoenix House,
Stephen St,
LA14 1BY
FREEPHONE 0800 279 2322

If you have contracted an asbestos related disease as a result of exposure to asbestos whilst serving in HM Forces it may be possible to apply for a War Disablement Pension instead of Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit. Application forms can be obtained from:

The Veterans Agency
Blackpool FY5 3WP
Telephone 0800 169 2277

However, you should be aware of the fact that this is a Government Department and not a voluntary organisation and, as such, it may be advisable to obtain assistance from the Royal British Legion who may be contacted via their website namely www.britishlegion.org.uk. One of the services offered by the Royal British Legion is assistance to current and former members of HM Forces in regard to matters such as these.

More information...

How to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.
How your claim is decided.
Further benefits.
Help & Advice.
Posthumous Welfare Benefits.
Child Maintenance and Other Payments Act 2008.

Asbestosis Online Community

Get free advice, help others in need, share your experiences and become part of a friendly, valuable and supportive online community by visiting the Asbestos Victom Support forums.

Why not bookmark us?

You can now bookmark us on your favourite social network. Simply click on the logo of your social network and it will add a link on your profile.

Asbestos Victim Support, 30 Victoria Avenue, Harrogate HG1 5PR